RE: 6" Coil Problems

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Jonathan: Sounds like a plan with one exception IMHO.
I paid full price for my Allanson 15/60. That was $140 plus freight. I will
do whatever I can to protect it. Therefore, I'd suggest not running the coil
as long as you indicate without the protection provided by thoses MOVs etc.
And you'll find that when it comes to longevity of your coil, conservatism
is a good thing  :))

Safety First
Ted

Subject: Re: 6" Coil Problems

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello,
       That is great advice, but here is how I set the Safety Gaps:

With the wiring: NST, Terry filter in paralell, power resistors in series,
then
safety gaps.

1) Connect only Nst, Filter and Safety gaps.
2) Adjust gaps, one by one, until they just still fire. Open them up a
little
farther (a little farther, is less than a quarter turn, with I believe
standard
22 thread/in bolts)

They had to have been set even conservatively narrow, because occasionally,
the
surge of the NST starting would cause them to fire. I would turn it off then
on
again, and nothing.

I do not know how long that solder (I guess I've been spelling it wrong :-)
)
has been in there, nor were it came from. I plan on running the entire coil
in
a few hours, with no filter. Just power resistors and safety gaps.

Does that setup sound OK? Am I risking a NST's life (no name for him)? Maybe
should try resetting the safety gaps, just in case....

Thanks so far,

Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon