Re: Table Top Tesla Coil competition rules and website

Hi All,
        I designed the system I will use to enter the competition
during a few idle moments last night. Computer programs and SPICE
simulations did not participate. I am fortunate in that winding yet
another secondary will not be necessary. I had two possible
candidates which fitted certain design criteria sitting in racks
around the walls of my shed. I'm glad I saw fit to measure and
document the characteristics of all my resonators some years ago as I
was able to simply leaf through the pages looking for those I
required. The chosen coil simply best fitted the design requirements.

      Low powered tests showed not much between the two coils but a
consideration of the desirable characteristics of the primary showed
one to be a clear winner. Interestingly, this secondary had fallen
out of favour with me some time ago but I'm now glad I was moved to
wind it at the time. It was one of many wound for a specific range of
tests about seven to eight years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have a
suitable primary lying around so I will have to wind that. The
primary cap will be a MMC and the transformer will be the 5kV/30mA
with no modifications.

     It will be a while before I get the primary done as I have much
else on my plate right now but I decided to let it be known that work
is in progress.

     Note to Paul Nicholson and other TSSP participants: since this
will be the first coiling I've done for a long time, I will also take
advantage of the opportunity to replicate the "pre-breakout"
phenomena. I will build sufficient flexibility into the primary coil
to allow suitable terminals to be used for this purpose so it's
probably just as well that I do have to wind one.

Regards,
Malcolm