Re: Suggestions for Hookup wire...

At 05:08 PM 10/16/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for
>high voltage hookup wire.
>
>Specifically, for connections to the primary
>coil, spark gap, capacitor, NST etc...
>
>I'm thinking about using some coaxial cable scrap,
>using the braided sheild as the main conductor and
>TNC or BNC fittings as terminal posts. This way
>I can mix and match different capacitors, spark
>gap etc... with just a twist.

Banana jacks and plugs!  If you want fancier, use PL-259/SO-239  (UHF) and
drill out the center pin/insulator and replace with a plastic rod and
banana plug.

I would NOT use TNC or BNC... they can't take the voltage (1500V rating, as
I recall, for BNC).  There are HV versions of the BNC (MHV, SHV, for
instance) but they run $15-$30 each.

RG58 coax can't take NST voltage reliably.  RG-8/RG-213 (and their ilk..
RG-11, etc.) can take 30-40 kVDC without too much trouble.

>I hate using spade lugs and generally 'un aesthetic'
>methods of wiring. (booster cables anyone?)
>
>I figure the center conductor is going to be
>pretty much useless, so I'll cut it off.
>
>Does anyone see any problem with this? Is the
>resistance in coaxial braid too high?

Coax braid isn't the best from a corona standpoint... And, it's not too hot
from a skin effect point either.

I'd use stranded copper wire (like AWG10 or 16 or something) and banana plugs.