Re: dazed and confused.

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:16 PM 04/10/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Cajun Coiler by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>

>Ok, I'm getting a bit confused here, as to properly designing a tank
>circuit...  When I query WinTesla about my NST (15/30), it says I should
>use a capacitor of .0053uF.  However, when I plug that value into the
>section for figuring the primary, it only matches up with that capacitance
>when there is like 38 turns (1/4" copper tubing, flat spiral).
>
>C.L. Mayeux

Hello C.L.,

I assume you're getting the .0053 uF. figure from the transformer section
of WinTesla, and if that's so it is referring to the cap value that would
resonate with your particular transformer...BAD, except under certain and
specific conditions.  As long as you end up with a cap value that is at
least 1.5 times larger than that, when in the primary design section of
the program, you'll have no problems.  That gives you what is known as
a Larger Than Resonant (LTR) cap value, which is a lot nicer to NSTs.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca