Re: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> All,
>
> What Dan fails to mention is that the typical operating frequencies of a TC,
> 60-500kHz, are way below any amateur radio band.  Primarily these frequecies
> are only used for radionavigation.  With the short duration run times we
> normally do should not cause anyone that locally happens to be using that
> frequency a problem.
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.html
>
> Mark Stolz
> Houston, TX
>
> >Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> ><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
> >

> >I know a lot of people here claim that tesla coils are quite "lousy" at
> >being antennas and all that, but they throw a whole huge amount of RF hash
> >out in the atmosphere especially when run outside.  Especially in a very
> >urbanized area, you may attract the attention of other "listens" especially
> >if near an airport, etc...
> >
> >My very good friend Lou, a seasoned ham operator, made a bet with me.  He
> >claimed he could hear my tesla coil with his antennas at 20 miles away
> >during operation.  Since "the group" here previously claimed that tesla
> >coils were lousy radiators, i figured i had that bet won.  Anyways, i set
> >my
> >coil up outside and he and my friend were at his house where all his ham
> >equipment was set-up.  We then synchronized our watches and he
> <snip >
>
> >Dan

	You didn't say what kind of a receiver was used, or how loud the
signals were.  A TC IS a very poor radiator, since it amounts to a
helical antenna whose physical length is tiny compared to a wavelength.
However, the peak powers can be of the order of a megawatt, so something
should be heard, but I'm surprised at the distance. I run a small 3" x
14" coil which puts out about 30" streamers, and it doesn't cause any
noticeable interference to BC stations on the receiver in the house,
which is about 30 feet away.

Ed