Re: Regulating Coil

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

> Based on your description, it sounds like this is referring to a tuning
> coil, in series with the primary, for fine-tuning the primary inductance.
> Since the main primary has only two turns, this allows an easy way to very
> the primary frequency in small increments.  If Tesla was studying secondary
> capacitance, seeing what added, known primary inductance can offset a
> secondary capacitance is a good way to do it.

> As far as "adjusting the primary e.m.f.",  emf (I think) refers to the
> voltage.  I don't think the voltage is what was being adjusted.

	It is common on coils to tap the primary, adjusting
	for optimization.

	On a large coil, Tesla may have found it more convenient,
	or accurate, to have a fixed and tapped portion.
	If he considers it all part of the primary (ie:
	common inductive/magnetic effects) I should think
	it is exactly comparable to the 'tapped primary,
	generally used.

	best
	dwp