Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

  I've had similar thoughts re: LN2 but can't seem to find
any info on its electrical properties (dielectric constant,
loss factor, characteristic spark length WRT air, etc.). Got
references (preferably on the web) to share?

Sorry no web references, but i did run across a book at the library.
I will go and look it up.

>   It's not all that expensive, and yes, handling it is
> something of an art, but "impractical" is a relative term in
> TC work.

Agreed, i lack the ability to handle LN2 so it would be impractical to me.

> > Thanks for tthe advice.
> > Tesla used boiled out oils which might be less flammable. Air is however of
> > variable conductivty especially in the presence of ozone. Maybe if it were
> > somehow possible to exclude air entirely, the oil could not catch fire.
>
>   Actually, as I read his writings, he boiled it out because
> air trapped in the windings is a source of heating and
> arcing due to its dielectric properties, not a fire hazard

>   Mark L. Fergerson

You are correct about air in the oil it is a source of loss
and heating.Others on the list were concerned with the fire hazard.
I was making reference to the fact that oil can be contained in
an airless environment, thus reduceing heating and preventing
fires.
Paul