Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/15/2002 7:01:46 AM, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<  There's an "accessory" commonly used to prevent that,
called a "strike rail", which is a grounded not-quite-circle
of wire (to avoid being a shorted turn) mounted slightly
above the primary (in a plain-vanilla solenoid configured
coil). It basically forms part of the second plate of a
capacitor (along with any purpose-designed ground plane and
the rest of the Universe), the first plate of which is the
topload.

  You can think of it as a lightning rod without going too
far wrong.

Your other design ideas sound viable if only because
they've been done and work.

Actually the moderators cut some of my more
outlandish ideas, so i seem more knowledgable
than i actually am.

  OTOH with some structural fiddling you can omit the rail
as some coilers here will verify.

  Mark L. Fergerson

I have seen a strike rail in several pictures of TC's.
Thanks for the advice on this. I noticed tuneing was mentioned
as a way to prevent strikes. It would seem however that
dielectric losses would be much less with oil.
Paul