Re: what kinda rotary spark gap

Original poster: "syd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-playahearth-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<biomed-at-miseri.winnipeg.mb.ca>

>What kind of spark gap should I use, synchonous, or none synchonous, What
>size of rotor do I need and how do I fasten the electrodes to the rotor?
>I was thinking of getting some stainless steel or even tungsten rods, do I
>need to go that fancy or can I get away with all thread brass rod and bolt
>them to the rotor.  Also how do you mount the insulated rotor to the shaft
>of the motor?
>
>MY tesla coil is working fairly well now with a 2 gap series spark gap.
>Now I want to build a better spark gap.  It has to be low power consumption
>so that everything will work off of a single 120 volt, 15 amp service to
>keep things simple.  My coil uses a 12Kv 60mA NST running LTR with a 4.25"
>by 22" secondary.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Shaun Epp

I wouldn't use a rotary gap with NSTs; you'll burn 'em up. Just add a
few more series
gaps, perhaps even a muffin fan, if you run into quenching problems. I
used the famed
RQ style series static up to about 8 kva. Save your power for the four
or five additional NSTs
you're going to wire in paralell with the one you have  :o).

-sk