Re: Phenolic Supplier question.

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Vince, All

I have used polycarbonate (Lexan) successfully.  Only precautions
are to insure adequate heatsinking on the moving electrodes, and limit
weight/mass of electrodes.  I have used up to 5kVA input (at ~12kV)
with no problems on a 10 point biphase gap, wheel diameter about 8",
thickness 3/8".  Lexan is extremely tough and I've never had a wheel
shatter or mechanically deform, and this with 8" wheel speeds in the
4000-5000 rpm range..  Your only concerns from an engineering
perspective is insuring you don't reach yield stress or temperature of
the wheel material.  This also assumes wheel is mechanically balanced
for maximum speed you will / can run.

Another excellent thermoplastic (but EXPENSIVE) is PEEK
(Victrex (R) polyetheretherketone resin), is good for temperatures
up to 150C or thereabouts, good machinability and yield strength,
and excellent electrical properties.  PEEK has the highest melting
temperature of all thermoplastics (343C - 649F).

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Vince D'Amore by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-teslafx-dot-com>