RE: JHCTES Photos

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Ted, Terry -

You may be right. However, I took several photos of the same setup and no
reflections appeared in the other photos. Have other coilers had similar
reflections in their photos? The lenses were coated. The operating spark gap
is hidden in the red box so wouldn't have any effect on the photo. It does
bring up several questions. Why does it have an elliptical instead of
spherical shape and is that a corona on the left side of the object?

Over the years I have received many explanations as to what caused this
condition. Photography is a hobby of mine and I have seen many photos with
all types of reflections and other camera problems but nothing like this
photo. If this is a reflection how would you go about duplicating this
condition? I would like to try and repeat this reflection problem.

Unfortunately everyone appears to be concentrating on the fireball photo.
How about the idea of plotting the electric stresses around the Tesla coil
by photographing the corona? My efforts were very limited. I believe that
some coilers can take much better corona photos of their coils while the TC
is operating.

John Couture