From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 9:10 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Geek Group Cap mod

Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Me and my big mouth..... ;-)

Well, my reasoning for the 40kV rating was thus - The puncture rating of

glass is 250V/mil by the book.  The bottles I've smashed and measured
all
had walls around 3/16th" thick, which equates to ~ 47kV.

However the creapage path seems to be the weak link. On you average
longneck
(assuming salt or brine to the level of the beginning of the neck) there
is
about 3" of creapage path.  The value I found for glass in air is
12.5kV/inch.  So 37.5kV.  Accounting for a thin skim of oil on the
surface
of the brine I rounded up to 40kV.

Dave

>At 01:46 AM 5/6/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >Comments interspersed.........
> >

> >>Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> >><teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

They