Re: tube spark gaps

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Are 1B32 spark gap tubes okay for tesla work?
>
> thanks,
> R.

	With suitable circuit they would probably be OK for a small coil with
DC power.  I don't have any data on the 1B32 (should be available from
Google with a little searching), but the 1B31 may be similar, and it is
rated at a standoff (breakdown) voltage of 4 kV, maximum duty factor
(conduction time x pulse frequency) of 0.001, which seems somewhat low
for a reasonable TC.  Operating life is limited to a few hundred, which
should be no problem.  The voltage may be inconveniently low, and it was
customary to use 2 or 3 in series for radar pulse modulator
applications.

Ed