RE: longitudinal waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

I've been working a lot on the physics of longitudinal waves so I can
prepare experiments to conclusively prove their existence.  Tesla gave us at
least one method of receiving longitudinal waves.  The method I would use is
to string two long wires parallel to each other.  The longer the better.
The wires should be spaced according to the frequency you wish to detect and
perpendicular to the line of site to the signal source.  I'm going to use
the power from a local radio station for my experiment, so I'll space the
wires at a distance of an odd division of the AM radio frequency such that
the first wire will receive the full compressed state of the wave while the
other wire is receiving the full rarefied state of the wave.  In between at
the midpoints of both wires will be connected a series resonant circuit
tuned to the frequency of the radio station.  There should be enough current
in the wires to drive a pretty loud speaker in a crystal radio set.

A couple days ago I was fiddling around with a large flat spiral coil and
pumped signal generator current into it.  The outer lead was grounded.  I
was able to generate a 2Hz wave in the coil such that I could watch the
voltage rise and fall in the coil between 5 volts and 28 volts over about a
10 second interval.  Likewise, all frequencies generated by the signal
generator produced similar effects.  I was impressed by the wide frequency
range of the coil when connected in this manner.

The 2Hz wave was not longitudinal, but it does give me an idea that I might
be able to do the longitudinal experiments with wound flat spirals.

The anti-static thread on this list has piqued my interest.  Having two flat
spiral coils on a long plastic pipe, I could point this pipe in any
direction, adjust the distance between the coils, tune the series resonant
circuit between them, and pick up longitudinal waves from all directions
quite easily.  (Provided the concept works.)

To test whether a flat spiral coil, or any coil, produces longitudinal
waves, one of these devices can be tuned to the frequency of the coil.  If
the coil is producing longitudinal waves, then there will be a significant
amount of electrical movement received by the longitudinal receiver, but
there will be little or no voltage.

For my ideas on how longitudinal waves are produced, you can check out my
updated c^2 and Longitudinal Waves paper at
http://www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com/c2_and_longitudinal_waves.htm

In all fairness to the critics on this list, I will tell you that these are
merely my theories and they are not scientifically substantiated nor even
warmly welcomed, ....yet. :-)

But for now we need to learn about flat spiral coils and characterize them.

Dave