Re: 15000V/120 ma NSTs, other XFMRs

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

About unpotting,

What brand are the transformers??  Here is my list for good and bad
transformers to unpot.

BAD
1, Allanson 15/30-couldnt seperate core, useless because of that
2, Magnetek(jefferson)15/60 hard to insulate after repair(not enough room),
shunts arent removable, actually part of the core!
3, Transco-15/60 difficult to seperate core, and tar is unusually gross

GOOD
1, Any France!!  easy to remove tar after freezing with a screwdriver, core
is simple and coils are wraped in tape so they dont get damaged from pulling
off tar,  All 4 of the transformers i rebuilt from them were a success. And
i have about 6 more on my list to unpot

It IS messy to de-pot them.  Use an ohm meter to check for normal secondary
resistance.  If both test good, then the transformers is most likely ok.
Most transformers i rebuilt had either DEAD or WEAK secondaries, but all
work perfectly when unpotted.  Id love to get my hands on a 15/120,
definitely worth the rebuild effort in my opinion. IF i had the money, and
shipping were free :)  I would be one of those coilers who see those 15/120s
as gold, but i have a supplier for all kinds fo 60ma units for free:).  Good
luck,

Steve Ward.

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn-dot-com