Re: Low Voltage Tesla Coils

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I started Tesla Coiling with very low voltage high current power supplies! I
found microwave ovens to hold the key to Tesla Coiling heaven...as they are
easy to find and cheap second-hand. My first ever Tesla Coil was a single
microwave transformer with a DC bridge rectifier. I got 4.8 kVDC at 350 mA
or so. I was able to draw 30" sparks off the Tesla Coil. I've also played
with Neon Sign transformers before and found them WAY overpriced for what
they are. Ie, take for example the price of a excellent condition, used 720
VA, 12 kV 60 mA neon xmfr.
$ 75- 120 each!

I got 6 microwave transformers for $30. Now all you have to do is series
them...middle two grounded, and outer transformers modified by detaching
core to secondary wires to prevent arc overs.