Re: Low Voltage Tesla Coils

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Terry
This is excellent and makes good sense!  Only issues I see
with this concept are:

1. Current limiting, but if you use a IGBT SS-Variac on
    front end in dynamic current limiting pulse by pulse, you've
    pretty much made the system blow-out proof.  "I" would
    still opt for a isolation transformer (read impedance
    "reactor" to limit current when the "OH SH..Ts" occur.
2.  Opto-couplers are limited to about 4kV hold off ("I"
     wouldn't feeld comfortable with only 0.3" spacing between
     1-2kV peak x 150-200A impulse.  Toshiba's IC opto
      is listed at Digikey (TLP250) and has ~60ns switching
     transistions and << 1microsecond delay.  It is good \
     enough to run a FET SSTC at 100kHz (although separate
     isolated power supplies are now needed).
3.  What is maximum surge current a 50A 1200V totem pole
      IGBT for motor control going to take before it goes POOF?
      Most are rated at 10 microsecond short circuit current
      ratings, and since you are decrement wave firing, peak
      currents up to perhaps 70% of this rating "may" be ok.
      I really get concerned about extreme silicon die thermal
      excursions at these obsince peak power levels.
4.  One to three turn primary, Vin =<1-1.5kV, Zo <=10 ohms.

Lets Roll!
Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA