Re: ASRG & DC power oddity

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 12:12 PM 27/01/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I'll take a stab at this :)
>
>If you play with a ASRG that is being spun by a DC motor this becomes
>evident very quickly.
>
>What's happening is you're cycleing through the various points of the AC
>waveform slowly. If you use a DC motor where you can accurately vary the
>speed (I use motors from old IBM tape drives, rated 34VDC nominal and will
>spin all day long at 2VDC to 50VDC). Because the instantanious voltage at
>any given moment in time can be anywhere from 0 to 120V as your gap fires in
>close alignment to the waveform you're getting different voltages.
>
>With a perfectly synced motor you can just as easly have electrode
>presentations happen at 0VDC as at the maximum. It's just a matter of
>turning the motor housing :)
>
>This means that it IS possible to have a SRSG aligned to a point where
>everything is set up perfectly, and full power is applied to the coil, and
>NOTHING happens because when the gap comes into alignment the electrodes are
>at 0V....at least in theory. I've done this with just a transformer, but not
>in a tank circuit (as it's deadly to the transformer).
>
>Because you're ASRG is *close* to the sync speed, but not dead-on, your
>electrodes are coming into alignment at a slightly different point in each
>succsessive wave of the AC input cycle. Thus, you've created the Beat
>Frequency effect :)
>
>Get it? It's really hard to explain, it's one of those...you gotta get the
>feel of it things. :)
>
>Now I'm going to go take advantage of the milder weather....but not by
>coiling.....I'm going STREET LUGEING! :) ha ha ha ha ha ha............
>
>duck

Hello Duck, Coilers,

Your explanation makes perfect sense, but you didn't answer my question
as to why the motor makes this beating noise.  It does it even without
the high voltage supply turned on, making me think there's something a
bit amiss with the motor.  I mentioned the business about noticing the
arcs varying just as a passing comment, as it's doing exactly what you
said it would.  It's the motor hunting all by itself that I'm wondering
all about.  Thanks in any case!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca