Re: ASRG & DC power oddity

I'll take a stab at this :)

If you play with a ASRG that is being spun by a DC motor this becomes
evident very quickly.

What's happening is you're cycleing through the various points of the AC
waveform slowly. If you use a DC motor where you can accurately vary the
speed (I use motors from old IBM tape drives, rated 34VDC nominal and will
spin all day long at 2VDC to 50VDC). Because the instantanious voltage at
any given moment in time can be anywhere from 0 to 120V as your gap fires in
close alignment to the waveform you're getting different voltages.

With a perfectly synced motor you can just as easly have electrode
presentations happen at 0VDC as at the maximum. It's just a matter of
turning the motor housing :)

This means that it IS possible to have a SRSG aligned to a point where
everything is set up perfectly, and full power is applied to the coil, and
NOTHING happens because when the gap comes into alignment the electrodes are
at 0V....at least in theory. I've done this with just a transformer, but not
in a tank circuit (as it's deadly to the transformer).

Because you're ASRG is *close* to the sync speed, but not dead-on, your
electrodes are coming into alignment at a slightly different point in each
succsessive wave of the AC input cycle. Thus, you've created the Beat
Frequency effect :)

Get it? It's really hard to explain, it's one of those...you gotta get the
feel of it things. :)

Now I'm going to go take advantage of the milder weather....but not by
coiling.....I'm going STREET LUGEING! :) ha ha ha ha ha ha............

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group