Re: assorted questions

It is posible to get different color streamers with small samples of
different salt solutions on your toroid. To get a high voltage in the
secondary you must have a large turns ratio. If you used foil on your
secondary you would have 10 turns of primary and 1 turn of secondary or
about 1/10 0f your input. With 10 turns of primary and 1000 turns of
secondary you can get 100 x your input or more. With 15kv input X 1.414 you
have about 22kv of peak voltage across your capacitor + resonant peaking. I
build for twice that. You would get nothing at radio shack to serve your
neads. That is why every one goes to great lengths to build or buy good
quality capacitors that will stand the high voltage and high current surges.
Capacitor failier is a common problem. People use copper tubing primary to
stand current of over 100 amps out of the capacitor when the spark fires.
   Robert  H