Re: RQ gap hookup idea

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Maybe I'm not visualizing this correctly. Normally you
go from one side of your PSU, through the cap and the
primary, then back to your PSU, with the gap parallel
to the PSU. That places the PSU and the tank circuit
across equal numbers of gaps (assuming TCBOR gap). If
you change this, you just isolate one side of your PSU
from the tank. Are you expecting the charging cycle to
have to jump several gaps? If so, then I would guess
breakdown would occur at a lower voltage, since as you
stated, you are going through fewer gaps. I would
guess if you could charge the think, it would behave
similar to simply using fewer gaps.

But don't let me stop you from trying!

Adam

> Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of
> Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
>

> Hello Coilers,
>
> I know that the subject of spiral coils seems to be
> the hot topic
> at the moment, but I've had an idea today that I'd
> like to run by
> those on the list that use the RQ/TCBOR style gaps.
> I would try
> it myself, but my shop is sub-zero at the moment!
>
> What would happen if you where to wire the gap so as
> to connect the
> power source (NST, OBIT, etc.) across the entire
> gap, but the tank
> circuit across a fewer number of the segments?  In
> my own gap, I've
> seven copper pipes meaning 6 gaps in total, and the
> idea would have
> six of the gaps for the "charging" circuit but only
> four gaps used
> in the "tank" circuit.
>
> My thinking is that by using fewer gaps in the
> "tank" circuit, you
> reduce your gap losses, yet by having the "charging"
> circuit make
> use of all six gaps, the tendacy to power arc should
> be minimised,
> if I'm seeing this correctly.  Maybe the idea won't
> work at all,
> but I'd like to know if it's feasable..-dot-come on
> spring and warmer
> weather for coiling!!
>
> 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
> G-1#1214