RE: Experimental results? RE: Stop the nonsense

Hi Dave,
         Arc brilliance corresponds to current, not voltage.

On 15 Feb 2002, at 22:07, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Steve,
>
> >I'm asking you for details. Saying you waved your 500V digital meter (full
> of diodes and other nonlinear devices) around near a few hundred thousand
> volts and consider the results meaningful means nothing. Another brand of
> DMM or an analog meter
> may give entirely different results as it is very likely you are seeing
> unpredictable effects due to leakage and reverse breakdown under
> tremendously high voltage and high frequency.
>
> I appreciate your consideration.  Just as you're not saying I'm not wrong,
> I'm not saying I'm right.  I'm merely describing my coil with the means I
> currently have available.  I wish I had the 40KV Volstik I sold a couple
> years ago, but I'm not sure that was enough voltage in a meter anyway.
>
> I know that the minimum dielectric rating for the separation between my
> primary and secondary is 225,000 V.  I calculated this by using the
> dielectric strength of the Plexiglas which is 900 V per mil and multiplying
> it by 250.  The Plexiglas still has the original plastic paper on both
> sides, which adds just a little more to the dielectric strength.  Then there
> is the 1/4 inch of hot glue.  The hot glue has some bubbles in it, but there
> is a lot of glue compared to bubbles.  I know from past readings that hot
> glue has a high dielectric strength.  I can't remember what it is, so I
> figure I can safely guess 1/4 of the Plexiglas rating and this gives me
> roughly 300,000 volts dielectric.  The coil has no trouble squeezing
> electrons through all of this.  So I know the terminal has got to be putting
> out the pressure.
>
> Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I recall bright white arcs are associated
> with high voltage.  Even without the high capacitance top load, I get
> numerous bright white arcs between my acrylic coated aluminum plate
> capacitors when one plate is connected to the terminal and the other plate
> is connected to the outer lead.  I think you will agree that without an
> instrument that will give me an exact voltage reading, that I can safely
> assume I have very high voltage in my coil?  And this is scientific enough
> for the purpose of conveying to others the statement that my coil puts out
> very high voltage.

Visit Richie Burnett's website for an excellent explanation of ho0w a
TC works, together with time domain graphics.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>