RE: c^2 and Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

>But by the formula you show, that is ~434 billion square miles. How can
186,000**2 equal 4*Pi*(186,000**2)?

It can't.  What c^2 is saying is that light does not radiate in all
directions as a sphere.  It radiates in longitudinal waves.  We know this by
observing the behavior of electrons in a conductor.  There is a magnetic
field perpendicular to the conductor that opposes the flow of current.
Light behaves in a similar way.  There is a field perpendicular to the flow
of light that opposes the flow of light.  This is probably what causes gamma
ray bursts in exploding stars.  It has been reported by Mr. Matthews, one of
Tesla's assistants, that Tesla invented a device that could oppose light and
make any given area be dark, even in the middle of a sunny afternoon.  But
this is not a discussion for this list.

What c^2 is saying is that light, and all electromagnetic radiation,
radiates as a flat disc.  This is consistent with lasers emitting polarized
light.  It is also consistent with dipole antenna theory.

>A supernova explosion may form a flat disk -of- -ejecta-, which is another
thing entirely.

But it's not different.  Why would an explosion in space send all the ejecta
in a flat disc?  "Common sense" would tell us the ejecta in space should
radiate like a sphere.  But it doesn't.  There are forces acting on the
ejecta that direct its movement into a defined space.

>This would require the speed of light to vary according to direction.

What it requires is that light should behave just as all electromagnetic
radiation does.  It requires that perpendicular to the direction of light
there is a field that opposes it.  It makes perfect sense.

Dave