RE: question

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Dave

I hope you are using a ballast on your transformer, otherwise the
transformer will be ruined by excessive current. Place a choke in series
with the 120 volt primary. The inductance of the choke will limit the
current flow through the primary during the short circuit at the spark gap.
You can make a choke by shorting the secondary of a mot (microwave oven
transformer) and placing the primary leads in series with the primary of the
potential transformer. When the secondary leads of a mot are connected
together, some of the inductance in the primary is cancelled, allowing a
pretty good and safe current to flow to the potential transformer. If you
want more current to flow to the transformer, then connect the primary of a
second shorted mot in parallel with the primary of the first mot. More mots
can be added in this way, but eventually the inductance of the choke will
become so low that excessive current will flow to the potential transformer.
One or two mots should be sufficient. You will have to accept whatever
inductance is supplied by your choke. Some people have chokes custom made
for a particular power supply, but this approach is very expensive. At
http://www.pupman-dot-com, much information can be obtained by entering the word
ballast into the search engine.

For short periods, your potential transformer can be run at twice it rated
level. Your transformer can really putout a lot of current, making it a very
dangerous transformer. I would not attempt to place a hand held fluorescent
tube near the secondary of a tesla coil while using such a powerful
transformer. The tesla secondary could become connected to the tesla primary
by a streamer. This could allow lethal currents from the primary tank
circuit to enter your body. Depending on the situation, you could be
electrocuted. Then there will be no more research coming from you concerning
your spiro secondary project. Such demonstrations should be left to the
seasoned professional, who take a calculated risk by considering EVERYTHING
that could go wrong.

Godfrey Loudner