Re: Electrical Oscillators in Space

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Would a Van de Graaf generator, or something simpler
> generating static
> electricity by friction, work in high vacuum?
---
VDG generator utilities instaled in high vacuum
enviroment are actually used  in high energy physics
on regular basis as device for accelerating
fundamental paricles (the charged ones ).In local lab
here we have one operating up to 4 MeV energy scale.
That energy scale is small compared with those
generated by todays cyclotrons and  accelarating
machines that work on principles of controled Lorentz
force action pushing the particle in a ring
track.Highly dominant field is controled magnetic
field,sometimes generated by superconducting
electromanets.Energy scales in the largest ones are
almost TeV.
However ,for some research purposes VDG type linear
accellerator are  still used.I think the largest such
is in France operating at about 40 MeV.

Regards,
Boris