Re: More on sparks- Bert's 4/29

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Bert (& all)-

An admirable run-down.  Thanks!  I'm sure it will benefit others as well as me.

One more thing occurs to me to ask about & then, perhaps, I'll shut up:  With a
positive active electrode, electrons that hit it are "removed"--but I wonder if
it makes a difference as to the nature of the path by which they are to be
removed.  In many instances, that path might be a relatively low-impedance one,
back to a power supply.  But in the case of a Tesla coil, it would seem to be
via the secondary coil to ground.  Is the ease of "removal" different in the
two cases and if so, would that make a difference in the characteristics of the
spark?

Ken Herrick

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:15:57 -0600 "Tesla list"
<<mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
> <<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<<mailto:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

> [...]
> terminal,
> they are removed, leaving behind a positive space charge made up of
> positive ions, effectively "extending" the field of the active
> electrode. However, if the HV electrode is negative, electrons are
> repelled into a region of weaker e-field, tending to inhibit
> further
> avalanching. This is a rewording of Raizer's text - and it's the
> fundamental reason why initial breakout (i.e. avalanches) occurs
> preferentially when the active electrode is positively polarized.
>
> Breakdown of a long gap in air at STP occurs in stages. These begin
> with
> electron avalanches, streamer formation, and ultimately leader
> formation
> and extension. Groups of avalanches "feed" current towards the HV
> electrode in a fan-like pattern of discharges called the streamer
> zone.
> The overall degree of ionization in the streamers is still low, and
> the
> temperature in the region is only slightly above room temperature.
> If
> the HV electrode's potential is increased, the number of avalanches
> increases, streamer current builds, and under the right conditions,
> leader forms - a projecting path of hot plasma that's attached to
> the
> electrode on one end (the "root"), and connected to groups of
> streamers
> at the other (the "head"). Individual avalanches in the streamer
> zone
> "feed" current into the head of the leader, such that the leader
> current
> is approximately the sum of the total avalanche currents. If the
> electrode voltage continues to rise quickly enough, displacement
> currents flowing through the leader help keep it hot (conductive).
> Under
> appropriate conditions (i.e., further rising electrode voltage),
> the
> head of the leader can move outwards, advancing out from the HV
> electrode in a series of discontinuous jumps, as a sort of
> conductive
> stick. Streamers continue to feed current into the head of the
> leader as
> long as the head potential is sufficient to maintain the evalanches.
>  If
> the extending leader makes it all the way over to the other
> electrode/ground, we get a spark discharge ("power arcing" in a
> Tesla
> Coil). The spark can also evolve into a true arc if the
> short-circuit
> current can be sustained, as in a power line fault. What we usually
> observe in a Tesla Coil are actually "arrested leaders" - leaders
> that
> grow to a point, but usually failing to completely bridge the gap
> ground.
>
> Hope this clears up a bit of the mystery...

[snipped]