Re: More on sparks--& AOL's goofs

In a message dated 4/28/02 6:10:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Ken, all,

You may be interested to hear of the latest result of my VTTC testing.
I ran the VTTC by powering it from a full wave rectifier to give it 120 PPS,
then I used a mechanical switch to reduce the burst time to 2mS
instead of the normal 8mS.  My rectifier diodes blew out within
30 seconds due to kickback.  From what I could see, the sparks
looked both dim and short, in that quick test.  So you may be
very correct that burst and BPS variations may not help much,
unless a higher BPS of 300 or more is used perhaps.  Sharp
edged bursts seem to be murder on the components   :(
I've seen this problem in previous work also.

Cheers,
John