Thanks/Bottle cap?/newbie starting out

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dan_Gallagher%PULSARNOTES-at-pulsartech-dot-com>

Terry and everyone else,
I've thought about tesla coils for years. But I had no idea there would be
such a cool group like this to share it with. I appreciate learning from
you all.

Thanks for getting back to me about my secondary. I'll look for #22 wire to
rewind it with.

Now the thought about a capacitor comes to mind. I really can't afford to
buy all the MMCs from the geek group though, my wife would kill me if I
spent $100 for this.

I was thinking last night in my garage (uh-oh) as I was standing there
looking at the empty 5 gal. plastic (recycle number #7) water bottles in
the corner. Plus earlier I'd been researching salt water and beer bottle
cap designs. "poof" like in the cartoons an idea pops into my head.

Couldn't I cut a 5 gal. "Crystal Water" bottle in half, fill it with
appropriately prepared beer bottles, then put the water bottle's cut-off
top half back on and tape it around the center (clear 2" packing or duct
tape maybe), and have the wire come out the hole in the top? I could make
one or two of these for capacitors. It seems taping the cut halves together
will not only help keep the liquid from spilling out but protect from
exploding glass bottles too. Are plastic 1 litre bottles maybe better than
glass beer bottles? I'm seeing why you all scrounge parts now. Some of you
are probably married like me with not much spare cash and a burning desire
for lightning.

I also had the idea that if I cut out a cross-section from the center of
the water bottle and made a ring, say 3" tall or so, that could be my
primary form. Since my secondary is about 8.5" in diam. the 11" diameter
water bottle seems about right. So this water bottle will serve two
purposes then. I can be quite resourceful when pressed.

I am so glad I joined this list and am grateful for your guidance. Thank
you very much.

Dan
Ft. Lauderdale