Re: PC board cap is a no-go

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Shad,

I have made several rolled poly caps. I have found them to be EXTREMELY
reliable, provided you don't push the dielectric too far voltage-wise,
and use very clean construction techniques. As for current, I'm not too
educated regarding VTTCs etc, but I have run my 8kW coil at over 1000
BPS with no heating of the rolled caps whatsoever. You could increase
the current capability by using more than one wire attachment to each
plate, say, one every 2 feet. For reliability, I don't use a 60 mil poly
cap with any more than 7.5kV RMS. You HAVE to submerge the cap in oil to
prevent corona from degrading the plastic.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia