Re: phasingsrsg

In a message dated 4/22/02 7:18:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Colin,

Run the motor with a cardboard or other disc attached to the
shaft.  Draw a heavy black or white line across the disc to
provide contrast.  Observe the running motor under normal
fluorescent light.  The light will cause a strobing effect which
will show if the motor is locked.  This will create a visible
pattern on the spinning disc.  The pattern will be very fuzzy,
and some folks have trouble seeing the pattern at first, but
it's there.  If the pattern is spinning, the motor is not locked.
The pattern must appear to be stationary.  If you have a variac,
use it to vary the motor speed.  At some lower voltage the
motor will unlock, and the pattern will rotate, then as you
raise the voltage, the pattern will become steady again,as
the motor locks sync-ly.  You'll also hear an unsteady
sound when the motor voltage is a little to low to lock.
This is called a hunting sound, meaning it's trying to lock.

There's just about a 100% chance the motor will sync-lock
properly in sync mode since you modified it.

Cheers,
JOhn