Re: trioid (spelling?)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

Can you (or anyone) give me some advice for winding secondaries. for mine
(my first) I put a peice of plywood in the pipe and used a drill and 2 jack
stands to wind it.
Thanks
Adam

Hey Adam,

First off the spelling is "toroid". I don't know if you are being sarcastic
or what but I actually enjoy winding secondaries. The first one is always
the hardest but once you get past that one you start learning some tricks.
I'm up to 5 secondaries ranging from 3.5" to 8". Personally I like using
dryer duct as a toroid, it is easy to work with unless you stretch it to far
then it tends to dent easily. What I do is take two circular pieces of
plywood put spacers in-between them and wrap the duct around that and then
cover the plywood with aluminum tape. This makes a nice looking and sturdy
toroid. Although the best toroids are spun toroids, they are nice and smooth
and the arcs just seem to dance off them but they are kind of pricey.

Matt Whitman
teslacoiler-at-hotmail-dot-com