RE: smoking capacitors

Original poster: "Troy Peterson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <troypeterson-at-shaw.ca>

Hello

I must concur with Andy, it sounds like you are using plastic bottles. From
my experience plastic bottles do not work... They may have lower leakage
than glass, but the breakdown voltage is way to low to be used with any
form of transformer other than perhaps a MOT. I used 10kv OBITs and found
that it arced over immediately,  causing the plastic to melt around the top
where the mineral oil and salt water meets. It defiantly should not arc or
spark anywhere inside the capacitor. A little bit of corona (blue haze) is
to be expected from the edge of the foil, but no sparks... Also note that
even this corona will melt plastic.

Regards,
Troy Peterson