Re: Possibly dangerous auction

Tesla list wrote:

><Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi All,
> The following eBay Items look to me like electrolytic caps.

	tend to agree,

> If so, and he is advertising them for Tesla coil use,

	Might work in a DC system.  I'd not do it.

>he's selling something which may well blow up in the

>recipients' face first time it's used.

	If they run it on AC, probably.

> Tesla coil capacitors 400v 220uf NEW 40,000v

> Item # 1721890101

>        Can anyone tell for sure what they are?

> Would it be ethical to warn

	Sticky area.
	While it is attractive, in theory to caution purchasers,
	there are limits.  (We have seen concerns on safety
	expressed _here_, also concerns about too much
	discussion thereof.)  Also, they might be used
	successfully in certain designs.

> buyers?

	ebay has rules against 'interfering' with an
	ongoing auction.
	(I've seen this discussed on other lists.)
	Their concern seems to be that the 'well meant
	warning' might be an attempt by one bidder to hold
	down bids of others.

	It is also possible the purchaser has no interest
	in Tesla coil use.

> seller?

	Certainly possible, I'd tend towards a calm, reasoned
	tone.  (If i was selling such-like with a 'Tesla'
	tag I'd have a large 'use at your own risk/Expert Use
	Only' statement.)  (Tho its 15 hours an running: too
	late, probably, for a modification...)

> eBay?

	Can't hurt, i fear they will not react.
	On the other hand they have sometimes, taken action
	restricting classes of items.

> All of above?

	A gentle note to the purchaser, after the fact, might
	be in order, if their address can be identified.
	There are, in reality, practical limits to how
	much can be done to make others safe.

	best
	dwp