Re: which coilform parameters best?

In a message dated 4/13/02 7:19:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

John,

I agree with Bart here.  I see no reason to make the coil so
short, unless you have limited ceiling space, etc.  A taller
coil lets things run more freely, i.e. the sparks are less likely
to arc down and hit the primary.  There's certainly nothing
wrong with using a 4:1, or 5:1 ratio.  Actually I prefer such
ratios.  Probably the only advantage of using a wider
secondary is to lower the resonant frequency, which can
make the quenching a little easier perhaps.   In any case,
I would use the 10" form, and make it 40 to 50" tall.  I'd use
about 1000 turns of wire, maybe more.  Yes, larger is better
as someone said.  More voltage and input power is better
too, so I'd use the two pigs for 14.4kV as Bart suggested.
The actual length of the secondary wire itself doesn't matter,
if all else is correct.

Cheers,
John