Re: 4-125A, vacuum tube do's and donts

In a message dated 4/13/02 10:44:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Matt,

It's a good idea to use a variac to supply the input power while you're tuning
things up.  If you're using a single MOT for plate and filament votlage, then
this concept won't work though.  You could use a separate filament transformer
to power the filament during coil development work, then go to the MOT
filament supply when the coil is finished and portable, and eliminate
the variac at that point.  Regarding rewiring the filament winding, I usually
just add more turns to the existing winding if there's room, rather than
removing the original winding.  Doesn't matter how you do it though, but
I'm lazy...

To measure the filament voltage without the plate voltage on the plate,
simply disconnect the HV wire from the MOT.

To switch the HV, you may be able to use a homemade switch of
some sort.  The switch can be thrown by pulling a long insulated
lever or handle.  Be sure a suitable material is used for the handle
so you don't get electrocuted.  There's an element of danger to this
if it's not done correctly of course.  There are HV relays available
too which may do the job, and are safer.

Cheers,
John