Re: varnish with guts ?

Hi Chris,

Anything's possible. The tapered former is an excellent approach (slight
taper should be fine).

Another approach might be this:
Build a former which can be made into 2 parts along length. With the former
in place, insert a
few tubes to brace the 2 outer halves and a couple strips of masking tape
around the outer ends
to hold the 2 halves together. Then wrap with paper (something porous to
ensure whatever coating
is used thoroughly dries). Wind the coil, coat it, let dry. Remove the
inner braces and remove
the 2 halves  (probably need to angle edges which butt together so the
halves fall inward
easily). All that is left is the coil. Leave the inner paper in place and
coat the inside.
Whatever you do, make sure there's a relatively thick coating on the
outside for strength.

Just thoughts,
Bart