Re: very confused coil results

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi Dave,

> Hi Chris,
>
> Nikola Tesla remarked in one of his papers that he could tune a coil so
well
> that no action would be seen at the spark gap, even though the coil was
> fully operational.  You got to remember that a spark gap is essentially a
> capacitor with air dielectric.  When you run AC in the primary circuit,
> power will still be in the primary circuit even though the spark gap
appears
> to be quiet.

Never heard of that before, Though thinking about it didn't Tesla replace
the spark gap with a capacitor in some occasions ?

> What was the exact wattage of the bulb and was it incandescent or
> fluorescent?  Did you have it connected _between_ the secondary and
ground?

I did have some fluo tubes near to the coil which were very dim, I can't
remember if they were lite when the spark gap was not running or not I was
too busy looking at the bulb.  the bulb was a 230 volt 12 watt bulb. When
the spark gap was running small sparks came off the secondary coil and the
bulb was very dim. When the gap was not firing the bulb was about 4 times
brigher though no sparks came off the secondary. I honestly dont know if the
tube was lite or not, I think it was but cant say for sure. One other thing
is the primary was very large ( loose coupling experiments ) there was about
10" from the edge of the inside of pri to the edge of the sec. The sec
itself was only about 15" high, wound with 0.8mm magnet wire, 6.3" form.

> I'll try replicating this experiment to see what I get.

I tried to get this wokring again but I can only put it down to a fluck
possision in the spark gap. As when I moved it the effect vanished. I tried
moving it all over the place but wouldn't work again. I might try a screw
type gap so I can very fine tune it to see what happens.

Chris