Re: very confused coil results

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Hi dave,

> I just tried your experiment with a 7 watt incandescent bulb connected
> between the ground and secondary of my 14" solenoid coil.  It lights
pretty
> bright under normal working conditions.  Then I tried setting the static
> spark gap wider and wider until it wouldn't fire any more.  The bulb would
> not light up when the spark gap wasn't firing.  You might want to double
> check your transformer and layout.
>
> Dave

I am not sure if  I said or not but the spark gaps were about normal for
10Kv running coil. I tired them as wide as they would go and it actually
still managed to arc across. I also tried them closer, in fact all
positions. It seems the what ever the spacing was it would arc. Since I
moved the gaps to try other spacings its not had this odd effect again.  I
checked the wiring and all was fine, Theres nothing even close to the HT on
the NST or spark gaps. There was a large coil next to the caps lent up the
wall, though I tried my best to get it to arc but the insulation on the cap
wires and coil was just to much. besides that it would have had to arc a
fair way to short anything out.  I even tried a normal mains cable around
the capacitor leads to try and get it to arc and couldn't.  As someone else
suggested there could be voltage between earth and ground which would have
done this. A few others I have spoke to tend to agree also.

Chris