Re: Coil ratio; width versus length.

Hi Edwin,

A smaller aspect ratio might help, but I personally haven't gone beyond
4.8. JavaTC showed 36" for
your coil. This is an optimum value. It also showed tuning at 12.6 turns.
You mentioned being tuned
at "3.5 turns in". I assume this is equivalent to 12.5 turns. Also shows
coupling K at 0.15. To be
accurate, we would need to know the OD at the tap point, not the far end of
the full primary. Have
you adjusted coupling ? Because the coil has a high number of turns
(~1,460), the volts/turn will
be low. You might be able to benefit from a higher coupling which will
induce more current into the
secondary. You want to try to get the highest couling with the least
trouble. You may have already
gone through this, but thought I should mention it. Typically, the
secondary is lowered in
increments until problems like racing arcs start and then raised up in
small increments until they
stop (everyone has their favorite method, but thats the basic idea).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Edwin G. Buttell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <edd.b-at-snet-dot-net>