Where can I find...

Original poster: "Matt Woody Meyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meyerml-at-stolaf.edu>

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a reliable but still
inexpensive motor for a SRSG?  1800rpm should be fine.

Also, does anybody know a good place to get capacitor oil?

Another couple questions too...
I've noticed that many of the larger coils use a resistive ballast... is
this something that you only need for a distribution transformer, or do some
use it with NST's also?  I'm running 2 12kV/30ma and one 15kV/60ma
transformer, all in parallel.

For the protection circuit- can I bridge one circuit across all three
transformers, or should each transformer have it's own protection?

Lastly, I am considering "borrowing" one of our department's variacs instead
of buying one of my own.  I know that while tuning the coil, it's not the
best idea to run it at 100%, however, after the coil is in tune, is it still
better to have a variac to ramp up the HV, or is it safe just to "throw the
switch" once the coil is tuned?

I've heard of using a "bleeder resistor" to discharge the capacitor after
coil use.  I've never heard of this, what exactly is it?  For a simpler
solution, it also works to directly bridge the capacitor terminals also,
right?

and lastly...

Just out of curiosity, how does the TC designer program go about calculating
arc length?  9.7 feet seems a bit much from the coil I'm working on :)

This is all I can think of at the moment.  Thanks again for all your help,
><>Matt

Matt "Woody" Meyer         Ellingson 120       507-646-2883 (CUTE)

St. Olaf College Physics Major
St. Olaf Admissions Tour Co-Coordinator
2001-2002 Ellingson Hall Residence Life Junior Counselor