Re: Where can I find...

Matt,

Sync motors can be a little hard to find.  Often I simply modify
a run of the mill induction motor to make it sync by filing flats
onto the armature.  Inductions motors can be found in washing
machines, dryers, fans, etc.

NSTs don't need any ballast.  They have built in shunts which
perform a current limiting function.  Most pig or PT powered coils
use an inductive ballast.  Sometimes extra resistive ballast is added
also to smooth things out.

Once the coil is all tuned, etc.  You can just throw the switch if
you really prefer that.

For NST powered TCs,  I use the formula:

   spark length (inches) = 2.2*sqrt NST rated VA

for efficient coils.

Cheers,
John