synchronous motor? How?

Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

    Salient pole? Grinding flats? Why does this work? Is the type of motor
being used the type that has windings on the outside and a lamininated
commutator. Capacitor or not? 75% of rpm switch?(start windings). I've been
reading up on motors but I think I've made myself more dangerous to myself
than anything else. I'd hate to tear into a motor and grind on it if it's
the wrong type.

    My coil is an 18 turn primary(12ga solid submersible well wire stripped
of insul.) which is tapped at 6 turns (??? got me!) A 4" x 15" Sec. with a
3"x 15" toriod. A 15x30ma NST depotted due to a primary open circuit. I'm
using bottle caps (35 beer bottles)that I enclosed in a "Tote Bin" that I
got at Home Depot. Fits 5x7 bottles(35 total). I had the bottles wrapped in
foil, and had the salt water w/ oil ontop. But I still had alot of flashover
which is why I put them in the tote so I coild add more salt water to the
outside of the bottles then insulate with oil on the outside as well as the
inside of the bottles. It worked well, now I think I need a better spark
gap...See above.

    Bob Bozarth