MOVs for transient suppression

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

For additional protection, I am considering adding some MOVs to the 240 AC
input power to my power control cabinet. This is in addition to EMI filters
which will already be in place. The idea is to provide a hard limit to any
large voltage spikes generated by the TC. This is to protect devices connected
the power line in my house, not the TC. Does any one have any ideas as what
type of MOV spec I should be looking for? My initial idea is about 275 volts
RMS with the largest current capacity that is reasonable. Digikey has some MOVs
that handle about 6500 amps peak for reasonable prices. By the way, my coil is
pig-powered. Opinions?

Steve: Coiling in Iowa