Space winding

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

Today I scored some free 400mm (16") diameter PVC piping. Although this
would make a coil much bigger than my current power supply is capable of
feeding, it seems a shame not to use it (it isn't cheap), and besides, I
hope to soon have access to 25kVA ability. So I have decided to make a
new coil. I want to wind it with about 1.2mm wire (about 17 gauge). I'm
wondering if a coil this big should be space wound? Richard Hull says in
the CSN guide that space winding is not really needed for coils smaller
than 20" diameter, provided a big terminal capacity is used to offset
the distributed capacitance of the secondary? Any suggestions?

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia
Phone: 0402 841 677