Re: how to change Q

In a message dated 4/2/02 6:47:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Or increase the diameter of the secondary,
> this increases inductance, maintains the form factor of hight vs. width.
> This method is suppose to be the best.  Heavier gauge wire and larger
> diameter secondary!!

Shaun,

this method may be good for raising the Q, but it probably
won't increase the spark length.  This is because the wider
diameter secondary has more capacitance, and forces the
use of a smaller toroid, for a given input power.  This tends
to reduce the total spark length, or at the best probably
won't help.  I'm assuming the coil was optimal to begin with.

Cheers,
John