Re: Re Re Re Re: Arc Welders as Rheostats?? Variac Mods...PLEASE!

Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>

THANK YOU!  A simple answer for a simple question.
 Nothing needs to be said about cutting variacs and stuff.
 That is what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure.

Thank you again, Pete.

On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 07:07:11 -0700
  "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
>Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>
>
>Chris,
>
>I haven't got one yet, but a minimum configuration would
>be to build a
>special extension cord with one plug for the wall and two
>outlets.  One side
>of the welder outlet goes to the wall plug and the other
>side goes to the
>pig outlet.  The other side of the pig outlet goes to the
>other side of the
>wall plug.  It's all in series, current flows through the
>welder to the pig
>and back to the supply.
>
>If I was building this I would probably build it all into
>a control box that
>plugs into the 220v socket, and has outlets for the pig
>and welder.
>
>Regards,
>
>Pete Komen
>
>Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>
>
>I'm almost sorry I posted this question!!! Here's the
>situation.  After many, many years of fruitless searching
>and legitimate efforts to buy a polepig of the size I
>need, I finally found a load of them roadside for some
>work happening.
>
>It is now two weeks later, my back is still bugging me
>from my acquisition, and I still can't use the bloody
>thing, because it pulls too much power for my box.  My
>dad
>has an arc welder, and I remembered someone once saying
>they were using a welder as a variac.
>
>My question, which I thought to be rather simple, was how
>to do this with my dad's welder.  I'm sure he would have
>thing to say as it is about this 380 pound piece of
>equipment in his barn, let alone me cutting up his
>welder!
>

>Is there someone out there that can either tell me how to
>limit this beast so I can run it off the power I have
>available, or come out and answer my question on how to
>hook up the welder WITHOUT CUTTING THE THING APART?
>
>Thanks
>Chris
>Torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net

For the best comics, toys, movies, and more,
please visit <http://www.tfaw-dot-com/?qt=wmf>