Re: The dowel of death - SAFETY

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/10/01 10:59:25 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Justin Hays wrote:

> Bottom line, my main massive point: when you ground the end of an arc rod, it
>
> puts the end at ZERO volts. This shorts any arc that hits it to ground. That
> means there is no potential difference (voltage) from you to the end of the
> arc rod, therefore there's no danger.
>
> This is the way I have made my arc rods for years. I've drawn pig arcs -at-
> 25kVA. Tesla coil arcs 6 feet long. Neon arcs, MOT arcs, ignition coil arcs,
> flybacks, everything.
>
> A PVC pipe section with a bolt on one end, the bolt is solidly grounded to
> earth.

I have to agree with Justin on this. IMHO, PVC makes an excellent HV
discharge probe.

<I see no safety issues here whatsoever, UNLESS you're dealing with tesla coil
<arcs that are many times longer than the arc rod itself. This situation is
<one in where an arc could bypass the grounded bolt at the end, and hit in the
<middle of the arc rod and find a path to ground THROUGH YOU.

Again, I'm in full agreement. As a matter of fact, I have personal
experience with using a discharge probe that was too short to use
for the length of the sparks that the coil I was playing with was
throwing out! I did this little stunt back in the days when I didn't
know better. I had a METAL curtain rod that I had grounded at
the end that I was holding and I was using it as  "Jesus stick" to
draw sparks from an inefficient, but still effective 4 ft spark throw-
er. The rod piece was only about 30" long and I was drawing sparks
to the end of it. Well, it finally happened! One train of sparks de-
cided that my well grounded forearm was a more attractive target
than the end of the rod, even thow the end of the rod was consi-
derably closer to the makeshft toroid. Fortunately, the electricity
went straight through my forearm to the palm of my hand of the
same arm to the well-grounded rod instead of through my vital organs.

<The danger comes from the ground wire falling off the end of the rod, then
<there's a LOT of voltage at the end, it jumps across the arc rod to your
<hand, then you're gone.

Well, as I stated in the above paragraph, this is kind of what happened
to me although the ground wire didn't fall off. I defintely had no desire to
play with a "Jesus stick" any more after this incident! I was ok, just shook
up with little red dots on my forearm where the sparks hit it. Thankfully,
no descernable flesh burns.

<In my humble opinion, I think that high frequency resonances/effects are
<insignificant when the end is grounded. Your whole body offers a lot more
<capacitance (HF coupling) to the coil, than your hand does to the (grounded)
<end of the arc rod.

Yep. BTW, my current coil system is a drievn by a 10 kVA pole
pig, so drawing sparks with a hand-held discharge probe from this
10 ft spark throwing monster is out of the question. I'd need a 15
ft. "Jesus stick" to safely do this, too long to hold out with one
hand and not enough room in my cramped shop. This coil is
for observation only :-)

<Have a good one,

<Justin Hays
<KC5PNP