Re: The dowel of death - SAFETY

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Garry.

I will clarify.

> I thought an arc rod or "Jesus stick" were both consisting of a non-
> conductive rod with a grounded metal knob or bolt to draw off arcs to
> ground

A "Jesus stick" and an "arc rod" are the same thing. Your definition is
correct. It is basically an insulating rod with a grounded bolt/ball/wire on
the end.

> I am a little confused by the 30 foot minimum length of an arc rod you
> speak of.

If you are pulling arcs off a really big Tesla coil, your arc rod needs to be
properly sized. I was actually joking about the 30 feet...but I suppose one
that long COULD be used for a coil that arcs, say, 10 or 15 feet. Although
it's a lot easier to just set up a ladder or something next to the coil and
let it arc to that. Of course, if you're drawing arcs off a neon transformer
or something, you don't need an arc rod that's 30 feet long.

(following snips from Kevin Ottalini)

> I just wanted to recommend that you put a plastic disk (or two
> spaced ) between where you hold the stick and the "hot" end.  Sort of
> like a guard on a foil or saber.

Great idea...........like ribs on an insulator. I will do this for sure, cool.

> The HV rating probably has nothing to do with the oil, and in fact if the
> tip should get hot and soften or melt (it is PVC after all) it might cause
> oil to leak all over the place.  It probably will leak anyway eventually.

I disagree, the oil inside has *everything* to do with the HV rating. I don't
want conductive dirt getting up inside that pipe where I can't see it and
remove it..........now if it's full of HV oil and sealed, how is dirt ever
going to get in there?

And hey, I've used oil and PVC before ; )

Regards,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150