Re: The dowel of death - SAFETY

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Justin:
            I just wanted to recommend that you put a plastic disk (or two
spaced ) between
where you hold the stick and the "hot" end.  Sort of like a guard on a foil
or saber.

The HV rating probably has nothing to do with the oil, and in fact if the
tip should
get hot and soften or melt (it is PVC after all) it might cause oil to leak
all over
the place.  It probably will leak anyway eventually.

The problem is not the inside, which should stay clean if it is sealed.  The
problem is the outside where conductive contaminants can collect.

I suspect that a fiberglass tubing is the best solution ... it's what PG&E
uses in
their kits (several screw-together sections to add reach).

Take care,
ko