Re: LTR question, high voltage wire.

Hi Jim, All,

Just to add here regarding high current components and wire. I had an
experience today at work trying to
kill a polyswitch which has been burning up in the field. I used 18awg
through a 60A pulse solenoid and 2
car battery's for 24v as a high current supply. Couldn't kill it. Found I
could only draw 25 amps. I
doubled up on the wire, and presto - I fried 3 of them quickly (battery
connection arc caused a high
enough voltage/current pulse to carbon track the molecular layer -
simulated the 40A relay used in the
field - clamping diode should be the solution). What interested me was the
single 18awg wire was limiting
current. I assumed it would be large enough, but I was wrong.

In regards to primary circuits, I can see the need to have a high current
conductor regardless of flat or
round types (I really don't see a benefit between one or the other). It
makes me wonder how many TC's are
running weak primary circuit wiring and not realizing it may be current
limiting the circuit. I'm not
sure, it's just a thought I had.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> on 10/19/01 7:08 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>
> >
> > Hello Terry and All,
> >
> > If the Cornell caps can take the voltage swing, which seems likely,
this was
> > an
> > obvious over sight on my part. I paid 3x for the Panasonic from Digi-Key
> > for equal
> > strings. Poof :-')
> >
> > Given adding the 15 nf to the cap bank (35 nf total -at-15/120), in your
> > experience,
> > how well will this LTR work with an air blast gap vrs the standard resonant
> > tuning? Performance? Also, I'm still curious if I can use HV wire to
connect
> > between the xformers and the safety gaps, all else will be flat copper.
I am

--
Barton B. Anderson
http://www.classictesla-dot-com